Frequently Asked Questions




What references will be carried out on the tenants and by whom?

After our application form has been completed signed and returned to our office we will instructs our referencing team at Homelet. This may involve checking your current residence, credit rating, affordability to pay the rent.  


What identification do I need to supply?

We will need to take copies of your Passport or Driving Licence, a Bank statement or utility bill. 


What utility companies are serving the property and which Local Authority is to be contacted regarding Council Tax?
We will give you details of the utility companies if the previouse tenant has supplied is this, the Local Authority and the Council Tax Band on request.  The tenant needs to contact all these services directly to notify them of the tenancy start date, in the case of the utilities, to provide them with meter readings.


Do rental properties have Energy Performance Certificates?
Yes, these are available to be seen by any potential tenants on request and a copy will be supplied upon si


What happens to my tenant’s deposit?

Landlord’s and Letting Agents are required to register a tenant’s deposit with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. High Garrett Properties Ltd ask for a deposit which is equivalent five weeks rent plus, this is registered with and held by the Deposit Protection Services Insurance Scheme.


Do I need insurance?

A tenant is responsible for insuring the full value of their personal contents and we also strongly advise that cover for any accidental damage to the landlord’s belongings (for example, carpets) is taken at the same time. An iron burn mark or drink stain to a carpet can be a costly repair, or in some cases, replacement. Insurance will cover these accidents for you  Click here for more information. The Landlords insurance does not cover any items of the Tenants.


How do I pay my rent?

All rent should be paid monthly in advance, through your bank by standing order, using the reference provided to you. Your First month’s rent must be cleared in our account before you can move into the property otherwise this can cause delays.


How do I report maintenance issues or request a repair?

Some of the properties advertised by us are managed by us on a landlord’s behalf and some are managed by the landlord directly. We will provide you with this information should you wish to continue. For properties we manage you would report any maintenance issues to us directly. For the properties we don’t manage you would contact your landlord directly.


Can I keep a pet in the property?

This is one of our frequently asked questions.  This would have to be agreed prior to moving into the property.  A pet rent on top of your monthly rent, in lieu of a larger deposit under the Tenant Fee Ban. Please mention your pet on your initial contact with us and on your application form. 


Can I Redecorate or make changes to the property?

A tenant can only decorate or make any changes if the landlord has given permission in writing, the tenant would need to write or email High Garrett Properties Ltd detailing this and whether they would leave the changes upon vacation or put it back to before they moved in. We do advise repainting the property if you have been in the property at least 1 year.


When might I need a Guarantor?

If your financial reference is weak for any reason, we could ask for a guarantor top support your tenancy.  This is a serious commitment, as the guarantor will be as responsible as the tenant for all monies due and obligations agreed for the tenancy. A guarantor will need to have strong financial references to show that they will not suffer hardship should they be called upton to pay on your behalf.


If you have any further questions, please do contact us and we will endeavour to answer your query.




Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:


Tel: 01376 553221

Phone lines open from 09:30 till 17:00


Get social with us.

BBC News

Rochdale loss is Starmer's worst nightmare, says Galloway (Thu, 29 Feb 2024)
Labour apologises to "the people of Rochdale" for not standing a candidate as George Galloway secures a resounding win.
>> Read more

Chris Mason: Rochdale shows how Gaza is shaping UK politics (Fri, 01 Mar 2024)
Divisions on the left over the conflict have been highlighted by the by-election.
>> Read more

Print | Sitemap
High Garrett Properties Ltd 2020